What are EXPONENTS AND POWERS
Exponents and powers are expressing numbers raised to a powers of particular number.
Here 2 is the exponent of number 5 which is raised to the power to 2.
Note: – Exponent is assumed as 1 ,When no exponent is mentioned for a number. i.e 1 is the power of any number when not mentioned.
Example 2:- To express 100 in exponent form. Find the multiples of 100 starting with smallest number 2
From the above we can express 100 in three different forms.
Note :-we have expressed number 50 in the form of 2 X 25. But the same can be true using different numbers such as 5 X 10.
Example 3 : Lets express some smallest 3 digit & 4 digit numbers in exponent form
From the above we arrived at some laws of exponents
Laws of Exponents & Powers
Remember the Following important points when calculating exponents and powers.
- Same law applies with negative integers.
- The denominator as zero is not defined.
- Any number to the power of zero (0) is equal to 1
- Number which has no power shown is assumed as 1 as power.
- For negative integers remember (minus X minus = plus) & (plus X minus = minus)