Here are Top Civil Engineering interview questions and answers for freshers in 2019 and beyond, which are generally asked in campus interviews to all freshers and practicing engineers.
Civil Engineering Interview Questions for Site Engineer
Site Engineer is plays a very crucial role in civil engineering as site engineer is the one responsible for actual execution as per engineering drawings. A thorough understanding of drawings is very much necessary for becoming a successful Site engineer. Here lets us see a few interview Questions related to civil Site engineer.
- What are Duties and Responsibilities of Site engineer
- Various Tests to be performed on construction materials arrived at site sand, cement.
- How to perform Cube test
- Size of cube
- What is Slump cone test.
- How is cylinder strength checked.
- Understanding of basic codes IS 456, ACI and AISC codes etc.
- Height from which the concrete to be poured.
- If a detail is missing or not clear in the drawing,how it is dealth with. Take a decision at site or ask the design office.
- Understanding all the views and blow out details in the drawing.
- Information found in Construction notes.
- Key Plan and orientation of North direction.
- Size of Vibrators used at site
- Tool box talk
- Safety measures taken at site related to workers and Equipment.
- Concrete Pour card report
Civil Engineering Interview Questions and Answers for freshers into civil and structural.
Here below are some interview Questions which are commonly asked in interviews for all fields of civil engineering
ACI and AISC
IS : 875 part 1 – Dead Loads
IS :875 part 2 – Live Loads
IS :875 part 3 – Wind Loads
IS :875 part 4 – Snow Loads
M refers to the Mix and 25 is the characteristic compressive strength of 15 cm cube at 28 days in N/sq.mm
Working Stress and Limit State method
19 cm x 9 cm x 9 cm
It is form key for holding mortar and joint to another brick above
Initial setting is about 30 min and final setting time is about 10 hrs.
Acclerators : – To shorten the setting time Eg – Calcium chloride
Retarder : – To delay the setting time Eg – Carbohydrate derivatives
Low heat cement
Summation of all horizontal , vertical and Moments equals to 0 i.e sumof all FX , FY and FZ forces = 0 and Moments about any point equals to 0.
A structure in which number of unknown forces is greater than the equations of equilibrium cannot be determined by Equilibrium equations..
Span / 325
M/I = fb/y =E/R where
M -Bending Moment
I – Moment of Inertia
fb – Bending Stress
y – Distance from Neutral axis to the load
E – Modulus of elasticity
R — Radius of gyration
0.8L where L is unsupported length
Live Load is taken as 750 N/sqm less 20 N/sqm for every degree increase in slope over 10 deg.
0.7 X Sqrt(fck) – fck is characteristic strength of concrete
5000 X sqrt (fck)
Distance from face of concrete to Centre of gravity of steel bars.
If reinforcement is provided only on single face then it is singly reinforced beam.
If stress in concrete and steel reach their maximum values simultaneously then its balanced section.
Ast/b*d = 0.85/ fy
0.12 % of gross area
0. 8% of area
Bending, shear,overturning and sliding
At a distance “d” from face of column
At a distance d/2 from face of column
At the face of column
Flexure, Compression, shear and torsion
Deflection, cracking and Vibration
Less than 12 , it is short column
More than 12 , it is Long column
a) Elastic deformation of concrete
b) Shrinkage of concrete
c)Creep of concrete
d) Relaxation of stress in steel
If slenderness ratio is less than 8
If a body regains to original position after removal of load is elastic limit
a) Conjugate Beam method
b)Moment area method
c)Strain energy method
d)Double integration method
It is point or axis through which load acts
Struct is a compression member
It is the ratio of Modulus of elasticity of steel to Modulus of elasticity of concrete
Bearing piles transfer the loads to the hard strata
Friction piles transfer the loads by friction between surface of pile and soil.
Civil Structural engineering interview Questions for freshers
Here are the List of some more civil engineering interview Questions related to structural Engineering
What are commonly used method in the design of structures – Working stress and Limit state method
Draw Stress strain diagram for Steel and concrete
- Shear force and bending moment diagrams for simply supported beams,fixed beams, simple frames and continuous beams.
- How to apply wind Load on structures. Steps involved.
- Procedure for Performing response spectrum analysis.
- Design of pile foundations.
- Calculate development length.
- Wind load on pipe racks.
- Understanding geo-technical report and considering Safe bearing capacity from the report.
- Lap Length
- Effective lengths of columns
Hope you find these useful, shall keep on adding interview Questions. Also find below few links for basics of civil and structural engineering
Interview questions related to Geo technical engineering
Geotechnical is an important subject of civil engineering which deals with Soil Mechanics and Soil behaviour.
Here Let us see a few civil engineering interview questions related to Geo technical engineering
- What is Void Ratio
- Soil Classifications as per Sieve analysis
- What is RQD
- Understanding soil investigation report and considering suitable safe bearing capacity as recommended.
- Ground improvement techniques.
- Soldier Pile wall
- Slope stability analysis.
- Chemical Properties of soil.
- Calculations of Safe bearing capacity.
- How important is N value.
- What are active and passive Earth pressure.
- Soil Friction understanding.