What is MENSURATION ?
Mensuration means study of geometric shapes with respect to Length, width,height, area and volume.
Lets find out the area of the following shapes
Square : Square has all equal sides
- Side of square is denoted by “A” means Length = A and Width =A
- Perimeter of square is the length of periphery . i.e A+A+A+A =4A
- Area of square – Length X width = A x A
Rectangle – Rectangle has two opposite equal.
- Length of Long side = A and Length of short side = B
- Perimeter of rectangle – A + B + A+ B = 2A + 2B
- Area of rectangle = Length X Width = A X B
Triangle – Triangle has three side and they may or may not be equal.
- Width of triangle – B and height of triangle – H
- Considering all sides are equal in this case as “B” – Perimeter of triangle shall be B + B + B = 3 B .
- Area of triangle = 0.5 X B X H
Circle – Circle doesnt have any length and width as it is in circular shape and it has diameter or half the diameter as radius.
- Diameter of circle = D and Radius of circle = D/2
- Perimeter of circle = “Pi” X D ; Pi is a constant and its value is 3.1413
- Area of circle = Pi/4 X D^2